With the objective of becoming the most highly regarded pub/restaurant chain in the UK, Hall & Woodhouse −a British brewery founded in 1777 with more than 55 managed public houses− was facing a number of workforce management challenges. Manual processes for forecasting labour demand, scheduling employees and managing time and attendance were time consuming and inaccurate. This resulted in managers not having sufficient time to focus on managing their teams to deliver exceptional customer service. Furthermore, poor visibility of key labour metrics meant any performance improvements could not be measured.
Hall & Woodhouse needed a solution that could:
- Forecast labour demand
- Create labour schedules
- Automate time and attendance to gain visibility and control
- Ensure payroll accuracy
“We needed an innovative approach to running the business and managing our team. The Kronos solution was exactly what we were looking for – it gave us control and visibility over our workforce as well as the ability to grow.”
Operations Support Manager
Hall & Woodhouse implemented a Kronos workforce management solution to help drive operational improvements and maximise return on labour budgets.
- Forecasts future sales based on multiple sources of historical and event-specific data
- Determines the number of employees required at each pub to meet the forecasted demand
- Creates appropriate labour schedules that meet customer demand and employee requirements
Time and attendance
- Delivers real-time visibility of employee presence
- Monitors hours worked against schedule, controls holiday bookings and manages absence
- Ensures payroll accuracy
- Provides real-time visibility of key labour metrics enabling sales performance to be measured and correlated against labour-related initiatives such as increased labour spend or training
Automation of labour forecasting and improved labour scheduling allows each pub to accurately align staff to customer demand, thereby improving customer service. Trials of the new labour forecasting template, to be rolled-out to all pubs have shown a 6-8% labour cost reduction. This is equivalent to a saving of more than £1M which is to be re-invested into the business. The Kronos time and attendance solution has reduced administrative time and improved payroll accuracy. Hall & Woodhouse now has better control over working hours and greater productivity, which has led to an increase in sales.